Sunday, April 12, 2015

Asking for and giving permission

You have to be polite when you ask for permission to use something that belongs to someone else. In English usually use the word please to ask for permission. There are some expressions that used in asking and giving permission. It can be seen below:

Asking for permission
-     Do you mind if I leave now?
-     May I come in?
-     Could I …………………, please?
-     Excuse me, may I turn on the radio?
-     May I borrow your notebook?
-     It is cold inside the room. May I turn off the air conditioner, please?
-     Please, can I have a look at your picture?
-     Would it be all right if I borrowed your bag?
-     Would you mind if I asked you something?
-     Is it okey if I come a little bit late?
-     Etc.

Giving permissions
-     By all means
-     Go ahead
-     Yes, why not
-     All right, please do.
-     Yes, of course/ yes, please do
-     Yes, that’s fine/ no problem
-     Yes, certainly/ sure, go ahead
-     Please feel free

Refusing permissions
-     I’m afraid you cannot do that
-     You are not allowed to ………………………
-     You should not …………………………
-     No I’m sorry. You can’t ………………………
-     I’m sorry, but that’s not possible
-     No, please don’t.


No comments:

Post a Comment