Expressing
Sympathy
To show our sympathy for someone is not
easy. We have to put ourselves in the other person’s situation to let them know
that we care and we are available to help in any way that we can.
The expressions
to show sympathy
- - Are you sure that you’re okay?
- - Is anything the matter?
- - Please, don’t worry about it.
- - Everything will be fine.
- - Can I do something for you?
- - There’s nothing to worry about it.
- - I’m sorry to hear that.
- - I’m deeply sorry to hear about.
- - What a pity.
- - Please accept my condolences/ sympathy.
- - I’m terribly/dreadfully sorry about ………………..
- - How annoying.
- - You must be very upset/ annoyed.
The responses
- - I’m alright, thank you.
- - I’m okay. Thanks.
- - Wish me luck.
- - Please pray for me.
- - I hope so. Thanks.
- - Etc.
The example:
Your friend failed on the English Test.
You : Please, don’t
worry about it.
You can take a remedial test next week.
Your
friend : I hope so. Thanks.
Your friend will do the English speech contest. She is a bit
nervous.
You : Everything will be
fine. Do the best. Good luck.
Your friend : Wish me luck.
Your friend had an accident when he went to your party.
Your friend : I’d
like to apologize for not being able to come to your party.
You :
It doesn’t matter. But you missed meeting old friends.
Your fiend : I
know it. Actually I was on my way to your house when suddenly a car hit my
motorcycle. I was taken to the hospital and he took care of my injury.
You : Oh
dear, I’m sorry to hear that. Were you okay, then?
Your friend : I’m
all right. I got only bruises. That’s all. But I need to fix my motorcycle.
You :
What a pity.
I hope it can help you in learning English.
Liya ilmia Ismono. Fighting. J
No comments:
Post a Comment