Sunday, April 12, 2015

Telephoning

Talking on the phone in a foreign language is more difficult than talking face to face, since we can’t use gestures, facial expressions, etc. while talking on the phone, we have to speak slowly and clearly, and we have to ask questions to clarify anything that we don’t understand.

The expressions used talking on the phone.
-     Could you put me through to extension 041, please/
-     Hello good morning/ afternoon/ evening, …………………………
-     May I speak to ……………………, please?
-     I’m …………………… from ……………… (mention your office/ address)
-     I’m calling about …………………………
-     Could you put me to Mr./Mrs. ……………………………
-     Could you take my message for ………………………, please.
-     Please, tell him/ her to call me if he/she is back.
-     Please, tell him that I’ll call him/her back at four this afternoon.
-     My number is …………………………

The expressions used by the receptionist or telephone operator when they are receiving a call.
-     Hello good morning/ afternoon/ evening, …………… (name of your hotel or office)
-     May I help you?
-     Who is speaking, please?
-     Just a moment, please. I will put you through …………………………
-     One moment, please.
-     May I have your name, please?
-     How do you spell that?
-     Thank you for calling.
-     Could you speak up, please? It’s terrible connection.
-     Sorry, the line is engaged.

The expressions used when leaving messages.
-     Can I leave a message, please?
-     Can you ask him to go to the Liya’s Restaurant?
-     Would you ask him to call me back, please?
-     My name is Liya ILmia.
-     Can I give you my number?
-     What time will he be free?

The expressions used when the person is unavailable.
-     I’m sorry. He is not in today.
-     Sorry, he is in meeting.
-     I’m sorry. Mrs. Liya is unavailable.
-     Would you like to leave a message?
-     Would you like to speak to her secretary?
-     Shall I get her to call you?



The example:
The dialogue is talking about the person is unavailable and leaving a message.
Dialogue 1
Donna      : Hello.
Mr. Donny  : Hello. May I speak with Mr. Daniel?
Donna      : I’m sorry. He is going to the dentist. May I help you?
Mr. Donny  : I’m Mr. Donny, his old friend. Please, tell him to call me if he is back.
Donna      : All right. Is that all?
Mr. Donny  : Yes, Thank you and good bye.
Donna      : You’re welcome. Bye.

Dialogue 2
Berty       : Hello. Is it 0215-987425?
Velly        : Exactly. You’re right.
Berty       : This is Berty speaking. May I speak to Berli?
Velly        : I’m sorry. Berli is unavailable. He is in meeting.
Berty       : Can I leave a message, please?
Velly        : Yes, please.
Berty       : Please, tell him that I’ll call him back at four this afternoon.
Velly        : Okay. I’ll give him the message.
Berty       : Thanks a lot.


Enjoy learning English. Liya ILmia Ismono. J

No comments:

Post a Comment