Sunday, April 12, 2015

Question Tags

Question tag is used to confirm the statement. The statement usually has raising intonation at the end of the sentence. For the positive statement has negative tag, and for negative ends with positive tag. It depends on the auxiliaries or verbs that used on the statement. It is to make sure their information is correct or to seek agreement.

   +  ,  -
Auxiliary + S + ?
-     ,  +

Type 1 ( Taq In the ends of statement )
Taq
Respon
+
No
-
Yes

Type 2 ( Taq in front of statement )
Taq
Respon
-
No
+
Yes

The example:
-     Liya is here, isn’t she?
-     Liya has left, hasn’t she?
-     The boy broke the vase, didn’t he?
-     I couldn’t be done, could it?
-     Liya lives in Yogyakarta, doesn’t she?
-     You aren’t tired, are you?
-     Tom came early, didn’t he?
-     I’m student, aren’t i?
-     George has left, hasn’t he?

The exception for the subject I, we must change am to are on the tag. For the example:
-     I’m your classmate in junior high school, aren’t i?

For the commands or requests use; will you, won’t you, shall we, shan’t we. For the example:
-     Let’s go now, shall we?
-     Come here, will you?
-     Don’t go anywhere, will you?
-     Come and join us, will you?
Note :
-     Let’s = Shall + S?
-     Command = Will + S? Won’t + S?
-     Am = Aren’t I?
-     Use = There, Tobe, Modals, Verbs (do, does, did)


No comments:

Post a Comment