Sunday, April 12, 2015

Question words

Question words

Question is a sentence that ask for information.
Statement is a sentence that gives information.

Kinds of question:
1.   Verbal Question
It is a question that may be answered by yes, and no. It is usually called yes no question.
Types of verbal question:
-     Begining tobe
Present = Am, Are, Is, Do, Does
Past = Was, Were, Did
Example ;
1.   Does he live in chigago?
Yes, He does
2.  Are you married?
Yes, I am/ Not Yet
-     Begining modal
Will/ Would
Shall X Should = Ought to/ Had better
Can/ Could
May/ Might
Example:
1.   Will you come to my party?
Yes, I will.
2.  Can we go together?
No, i can not.

2.  Pronominal Question
It is question that asks for information by using a question words. We called it an information question.

QW + Tobe/ Auxiliaries + S + V + O
WHO + V/ Modal

The function of question words:
When
To ask about time
Where
To ask about place
Why
To ask about reason
Who
To ask about person as subject
Whom
To ask about person as object
Which
To ask about preferences
What
To ask about things, jobs, activities
Whose
To ask about possession
How
To ask about condition, weather, age

3.  Choice Question
“Do you want tea or coffee?”
“Do you want sugar or salt?”
-     Which one/ Which ones
Example :
1.   Which one do you buy?
I buy the cheap one
2.  Which ones do you need?
I need the good ones



No comments:

Post a Comment